Privacy is a core value at Strategic Maritime Solutions. We appreciate that you entrust us with your personal and private information and we always will honor that trust. We strive to maintain your privacy and the security of your personal information and have adopted thorough privacy policies to inform and protect you. As part our Privacy Policies, we communicate our privacy policies to the Strategic Maritime Solutions team (including our amazing employees and contractors), and we internally enforce privacy safeguards.
The world of privacy is changing as people are beginning to appreciate that people have a fairly fundamental right to privacy. Strategic Maritime Solutions will always strive to be compliant with all privacy protective regulations a the state, national, and regional level. A further indication of our commitment to the privacy for all of our customers around the globe is our GDPR compliance efforts with respect to our customers in the EU. We plan to be GDPR compliant by mid-2024. And as more and more states in the US enact stricter privacy laws, we will keep you apprised of your rights and always respect them. Of course, you understand that in order to have accounts, receive updates, host content, make purchases, you will have to provide your consent to Strategic Maritime collecting and using certain private information.
Our Collection and Use of Information:
Strategic Maritime Solutions may collect information in a number of ways from users who access our Sites or services. We collect personal and non-personal information in various ways. You may provide your information to us to receive the Services or any product or communication from us; we may request your information to better serve you; or we may require your information in order to be able to complete a transaction (e.g. a purchase) or provide access (e.g. to the Services). Understand that all such disclosures are voluntary on your part, however, certain minimum disclosures (which may vary from site to site, service to service, or by membership level) are strictly required in order for you to receive the Service(s) you want or expect from Strategic Maritime Solutions. If you do not wish to disclose certain required information, Strategic Maritime Solutions may not be able to provide some or all of the Services or products you want to you. If you provide the data to us, then you give us your consent to use it in accordance with this policy.
A. Collection of Personal Information
Personal information (or “Personally Identifiable Information” or “PII”) is information and data that can be used to specifically identify or contact a single person. What is deemed to be ‘personally identifiable’ may vary from region to region, country to country, or even state to state, and Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC takes a conservative approach to data that can identify you. PII is encrypted as soon as commercially reasonable to protect you. We do not store or externally transmit any PII you may provide to us in the clear – it is encrypted or put in a form that is secure and not readable by humans.
Personal information we collect
Examples of some types of personal information Strategic Maritime Solutions may collect (always with your consent) in connection with the Safewaterways.com and Safewaterways.net and how we may use it:
● We may collect a variety of information when you (i) register for a product or service; (ii) login to use the Services, purchase products, or additional Services; (iii) request support for your account, or help with any part of the Services; (iv) register for a training, webinar, live workshop, or the like; (v) provide feedback on the Services or any of our software, Sites, trainings, or products; (vi) ask us to take action on a domain you control, or put information on a domain or account; (vii) take an action in response to an advertisement; or (viii) participate in a promotion (as a buyer or an affiliate), contest, or online survey. The information will typically include your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, and/or social media credentials.
● If you use certain features of the Services, have a paid account, or utilize certain features of the Services, we may collect information required to provide the services in connection with such features or Services, and to keep your account secure. This information may include (in addition to your name, email address) your IP address and current location. We may also collect other details such as your Facebook ID, your YouTube channel, and your mobile phone number (e.g. for notifications, two-factor security, or the like).
● We may also collect certain personally identifying financial information (“PIFI”) in connection with some services, including paid accounts. Such PIFI may include your credit card number (or a portion thereof), the expiration date for the credit card, bank information such as your bank’s name, routing number, and/or your account information. It may include an account at a service that we use to pay you, or you to pay us. This information in some cases may only be stored temporarily, or transiently, e.g. during a particular secure session between your computer and a Strategic Maritime Solutions server, or for authorization through a payment gateway or the like. In other cases, this information must be stored so that we can maintain your account balance, make payments or transfers of amounts held in your accounts, and other important uses for providing the financial transactions in connection with these services. Generally, Strategic Maritime Solutions will not store your PIFI information, instead that information will be handled by the party actually using it such as the credit card company or bank handling the transaction. And like PII, PIFI is never stored or externally transmitted in the clear. It is always kept in a manner to minimize any risks using commercially reasonable efforts.
● We may also ask for certain information only in circumstances where required by law. For example, where we are required (e.g. by ‘Know Your Customer’ or similar laws or regulatory requirements) when setting up certain financial accounts to obtain e.g. your Social Security number (SSN) (or other sensitive personal identifiers to help us or a financial institution identify you for purposes of compliance), or bank account details, then we will ask for it. As above, such information may only be stored transiently, during a secure session. Or it may need to be stored for longer periods of time as required to provide the services. Strategic Maritime Solutions again follows industry standard steps to risks to mitigate risks: we do not store your PIFI in a form that is understandable by humans or in a manner that is publicly accessible. We take care to encrypt all sessions involving all financial information collection and transactions. You should never enter your financial details anywhere in an insecure session. If you are ever unsure whether it is actually Strategic Maritime Solutions that has requested any financial details or asked you to confirm certain personal details, or if you are in a session or on a site that is not secure, please do NOT provide any information but instead immediately contact our support team.
How we use your personal information
● Important Communications: Strategic Maritime Solutions may need to send what we deem “important communications” from time to time. This information is required for you to do business with Strategic Maritime Solutions, and therefore, if you wish to continue to use the Services, or any software, or other services or products offered, you may NOT opt out of these communications.
Can you give examples of these “important communications”?
● Optional Communications: You can opt out of receiving our optional communications if you don’t want to receive them. Every such communication contains instructions for opting out, ‘unsubscribing,’ or the like. We have found that our most successful and productive customers are involved with us – our trainings, our Services, our interactive social media groups. They find our ‘optional’ communications valuable, however, if you do not find them valuable, you are not obligated to receive them. We provide these communications as a service to you. The information in connection with these optional communications and your responses help us to improve our services, products, trainings, content, and even our advertising, which all in turn help you.
Can you give examples of our “optional communications”?
Yes. The personal information we collect allows us to provide you with Strategic Maritime Solutions' latest product announcements, software introductions, helpful tips and information, special offers, trainings, opportunities, and upcoming events. Our optional communication can include, for example: (i) special offers for software, products, or services; (ii) invitations to webinars, trainings, or member-only opportunities; (iii) company news; (iv) upcoming events; and (v) our development path and schedule.
● We also may use personal information internally for several purposes. For example, it may be used (i) to help us develop, deliver, improve, and customize the Services, or our software, support, training, products, content, and/or advertising; (ii) to provide a better user experience for every user of Strategic Maritime Solutions' software, products, and services; (iii) for internal auditing, and/or data analysis; and (iv) for research to improve Strategic Maritime Solutions’ software, services, support, training, products, content, user interfaces; and/or communications.
● If you enter as a participant into a promotion such as a contest, a giveaway, a one-time or special offer, or similar promotion, we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
● If we become involved in a legal process as a result of your actions on the Safewaterways.com Sites, or in connection with any Strategic Maritime Solutions' software, products, or services, we may be required to disclose your PII or PIFI to a government authority, or a third party who e.g., issues a subpoena or a court order that require us to provide it. Our response(s) to any such legal process will be handled on a case-by-case basis following the advice of our attorneys. We may or may not be able to inform you of any such disclosures. Again, we will follow the advice of our attorneys.
B. Collection of Non-Personal Information
How we collect and use your non-personal information
We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose.
The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
● We may collect demographic data and other non-personal information regarding our customers collectively including for example age, gender, occupation, preferred language, zip code, area code, geographic location, or the time zone from which customers access the Safewaterways.com or Safewaterways.net Sites, the Services, or any software, products, or trainings. Such non-personal information helps Strategic Maritime Solutions understand our customers and their interactions with the Safewaterways Sites. Such non-personal information can also aid Strategic Maritime Solutions in improving the Safewaterways Sites, the Services, software, and products, and to provide better training, support, help, and user experiences for our customers. We may also use such information to improve our marketing and advertising.
● We also may collect non-personal information regarding customer activities on the Safewaterways Sites or use of the Strategic Maritime Solutions Services, Sites, software, products, and trainings. This information is aggregated and used to help us provide more useful information internally and to our customers and to understand which aspects of the Services, or the Safewaterways Sites, software, products, and trainings are of most interest or which can be improved. Non-personal support or help request data may be used to improve the Services, or specific aspects of our software or the Safewaterways Sites, training, communications, and user interfaces, or to allow us to provide additional software, product or service offerings to our present or future customers.
● We may collect non-personal information regarding the digital footprints of our customers with respect to accessing the Services, the Safewaterways Sites, or any Strategic Maritime Solutions software, trainings, products, or the like. Information regarding mobile and non-mobile access, specific types of devices being used, unique device IDs, type of browser(s) being used, networks that our customers use, and other non-personal information may be useful. This information may be used to improve the Safewaterways Sites, software, products, or services including but not limited to their performance, functionality, design, or responsiveness. As with IP addresses, if the UID for any device is considered to be PII under any applicable local, regional, or state law, we will treat it accordingly.
C. Cookies and Other Technologies
We use certain cookies we consider to be “Required” – you must accept these cookies to use the Services or access the websites.
Required/Strictly Necessary Cookies: These are essential for you to browse the website(s) and use the member features of the Services and secure areas of the Sites. These Strictly Necessary cookies are generally first-party session cookies. Your browser must be configured to accept these cookies, if you refuse them, you will not be able to log in or use the sites.
Other cookies include User Preference Cookies, Performance/Statistics cookies, and Marketing cookies. You will be presented with the ability to choose which cookies you will accept when you first visit the Sites and until your choices are logged.
User Preferences Cookies: These allow us to remember the choices and preferences you have made in the past, e.g. what language you prefer, what your user name and password are so you can log in more conveniently. Declining to accept these cookies may decrease your ease of use and convenience with the sites.
Performance / Statistics Cookies: These cookies help us collect information about how users utilize our website. This information is also all aggregated and anonymized and cannot be used to identify you.
Marketing cookies: These cookies are used for assessing your activity on our sites to help us deliver more relevant marketing. These are persistent cookies and almost always of third-party provenance.
Cookies and other technologies can generally be controlled on your devices. If you want to disable cookies you should review your privacy or security settings.
Please note that certain features of the websites or the Services may not be available to you if you have e.g. “Preference” cookies disabled on your device.
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC also uses specific technologies in connection with certain communications such as emails that may be used to track actions by recipients. For example, these communications may include one or more clickable text or graphics that include URLs that link to content on the Sites. The tracked data can help Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC determine the effectiveness of our communications to users and customers, or to gage interest in specific topics.
D. Log Files
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC's servers may automatically gather certain information and store it in log files as part of standard internet protocols. This information may include date/time stamp of access, acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy, EULA, and other policies, the Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), device type, operating system, browser and version, language, log-in details, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring page, exit page, and other data derived from a visit to our Sites.
E. Social Media
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC may collect certain information from you if you interact with us via social media such as Facebook, Twitter (X), LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and other such services. For example, you may be given the option to register for training webinars, take advantage of special offers, receive mailings, newsletters or the like, via your social media account. The information we receive or collect from such social media, and our ability to collect it, may depend on the social media site, its policies, and its requirements or its technology. We may collect the information you provide from these social media interactions and may use it for various purposes to improve our services or your experience, or to contact you regarding the reason you connected with us or with additional offers in the future. Of course, you have the opportunity to opt-out at any time provided we do not require a means of contacting you to fulfill your request.
Protecting children's privacy is important to Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC. It is our policy to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and all other applicable privacy laws protecting children. Therefore, we restrict use of the Sites to persons eighteen (18) years or older. Therefore, we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18 (eighteen). If we learn that Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC has inadvertently collected or received the personal information of a child under 18 we will take steps to delete the information.
[PLEASE NOTE: You must be 18 or older to use the Safewaterways.com and Safewaterways.net websites, and to purchase a license to use the Services, purchase products, or attend trainings offered via the Sites without an adult (parent or guardian). You must also be competent to legally enter a contractual relationship, particularly with respect to any of the Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC services related to selling products directly online, making or receiving payments, engaging in financial transactions, or the like where you reside.]
DUE TO THE AGE RESTRICTIONS FOR USE OF THIS WEBSITE, NO INFORMATION OBTAINED VIA THIS WEBSITE FALLS WITHIN THE FEDERAL CHILDREN'S ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT (COPPA) AND IT IS NOT MONITORED AS DOING SO.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if we discover or form a reasonable belief that we have received any information from a child under 18 in violation of this policy, we will delete that information. If you believe Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC has any information from a child under age 18, please contact us at the following address:
At times Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with us to provide software, products and services, or that help us service our customers. Personal information will only be shared by Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC to provide the Services and/or websites that you have requested or that we have promised.
A. Service Providers
To provide its various products or services, Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC works with certain third-party providers, who may be located wherever Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC operates, or in any other location. Such companies provide services to Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC. Examples may include information processing, server housing, providing internet connections, financial transaction processing, payment gateways, clearinghouse services, providing or brokering merchant account services, or other banking, financial, or credit services, product/service delivery, communications, managing and enhancing customer data, providing technical support and/or customer service, and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys. At any given time, Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC may work with one or more such provider(s). We will only provide personal information to these companies where required for them to provide their services, or to improve our products or services for our customers. We will only provide personal information to these companies after they are contractually obligated to protect your information, and only to the extent required.
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC will not sell or share personal identifiable information with third parties for their marketing purposes. In some cases, Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC may be required by legal process to disclose your personal information. Such disclosure may be compelled by applicable law, regulation, judicial order, and/or lawful requests from local authorities. Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC may also disclose information about you if we determine, in our sole discretion, that disclosure is necessary or appropriate to ensure the safety of any individual(s), or for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance.
If the Safewaterways.com and Safewaterways.net websites and/or software, products, or services, or Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC becomes the subject of a reorganization under the bankruptcy law, a merger, a sale, or other change in control, any and all personal information in Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC's control will be transferred to the trustee, debtor in possession, successor, acquirer, or such other third party as will control Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC, the Sites, and/or software, products, or services thereafter.
We also reserve the right to disclose personal information if we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our users, customers, or the public, prevent fraud or financial wrongdoing, or in any action to enforce our End User License Agreement, Terms of Service, or other policies regarding Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC.
Personal Information Protection
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC uses commercially reasonable security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. We restrict access of personal information to our employees, contractors, and/or agents who need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations. Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC and its third party providers use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption on all web pages where personal information, including financial information is transmitted.
You are solely responsible for any personal information you choose to submit on non-secure sites including but not limited to any discussion forums or public comment threads on the Sites, or any social media sites, groups, or threads related to the Sites or the related software, products, or services.
Access to Your Personal Information
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC software customers should periodically log in to review your name, contact information and other readily available personal information to ensure they are accurate, complete, and up to date. It is your sole responsibility to verify that the information in your account, especially your financial information (if you are using any of Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC’s services that relate to selling, receiving payments, merchant accounts, paid advertising, or the like) is accurate, complete, and up to date! You may lose funds if you provide inaccurate information; such losses may be beyond Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC's control and irretrievable. You can always make changes to your information to ensure it is accurate and complete; such changes to your personal details and particulars should be made through your account. If you find inaccuracies in your personal identifiable information, you should contact our customer support immediately to notify us of the changes and corrections.
Newer privacy laws like the EU’s GDPR provide you with certain important rights, including the right to know and the right to be forgotten. Therefore, you can request access to any personal information we have for you. We will make a good faith effort to provide you with access to reasonably accessible information. You can request that we correct the data we have for you if it is inaccurate or you can request that we delete your personal data. Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC will comply with such requests if they are reasonable and we will delete your data IF we are not required to retain it by law, and IF we do not require it for legitimate business purposes. We may reserve the right to refuse deletion requests that we believe require undue time, or technical effort, or where not provided by local law. We also reserve the right to deny or delay requests where the personal information is scheduled to be deleted as part of any upcoming purge of data that is not being retained. Requests for access, correction, or deletion can be submitted to [provide email here].
NOTE: You cannot generally request that your data be deleted and that you be ‘forgotten’ and continue to use Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC’s software, products, and services. We require certain data as described in this policy to provide the software, products, and services.
Links to Third-Party Sites
International Users: US Safe Harbor
As part of our privacy program, Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC has worked to ensure this Policy informs you of the rights you have with respect to your personal information that we have collected.
In certain circumstances, you may have recourse if Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC fails to comply with the requirement or provisions set forth in this policy. Such recourse is available to you at no charge. As a first step we will always sincerely endeavor to thoroughly investigate and expeditiously resolve any concerns or complaints you may have. You can contact our privacy compliance staff at the following addresses:
Before seeking further recourse regarding any concerns or complaints regarding your collected data, you should try to have us resolve it for you informally. This should be faster and easier for all involved. If you are not satisfied with the resolution we propose informally, we have arranged for you to have the right to pursue further recourse via an independent recourse mechanism that we have made available to investigate unresolved complaints regarding privacy.
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC can provide, the option for you to seek recourse through an independent third-party alternative dispute resolution provider, who will arbitrate any unresolved disputes that we cannot work out together.
All disputes will be submitted for resolution according to their rules. To learn more about this provider, please email us at [email protected].
Note: If you are reading this notice, this information here is still applicable and the recourse described above is still available to you.
EUROPEAN UNION Users: The GDPR
On or before the 3rd quarter of 2024 Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC will be a fully compliant Controller and Processor of Personal Data under the GDPR. If you have any questions about your ability to use our software platforms in the EU or with regard to your EU customer’s data, feel free to contact our Data Protection Officer, via email at [email protected] to discuss, or request a copy of our Data Processing Addendum to our EULA.
This Policy was created June 2023
Notice of Compliance to California Residents – Your California Privacy Rights Under The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Business and Professions Code
You have the right to know what categories and what specific pieces of personal information is collected, used, or shared by us.
You have the right to have your personal information that we have collected and hold.
You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information and/or direct a business to stop selling their information. Children under the age of 16 must provide opt-in consent. Children under the age of 13 require the consent of a parent or guardian.
You have the right to non-discrimination if you exercise a privacy right under CCPA.
Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC does not maintain an online process for an individual consumer who uses or visits our commercial website or online service to review and request changes to any of his or her personally identifiable information that is collected through our website or online service.
For the purposes of this policy and California compliance the following definitions apply:
Depending on your activity on our website or online service, the following "personally identifiable information" may be collected, in addition to what is in prior sections of this document.
The term "personally identifiable information" means individually identifiable information about an individual consumer collected online via the Sites from an individual and maintained by us in an accessible form and may include any of the following:
(1) A first and last name;
(2) A home or other physical address, including street name and name of a city or town;
(3) An e-mail address;
(4) A telephone number;
(5) Any other identifier that permits the physical or online contacting of a specific individual; and
Under current California law, California residents have the right to receive information about third parties with whom we have shared information about you or your family for marketing purposes during the previous calendar year, and a description of the categories of personal information shared. To make such a request, please send an email to [email protected] and please include the phrase "California Privacy Request" in the subject line, the domain name of the website you are inquiring about, along with your name, address and e-mail address. We will respond to you within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request.
"Cookies" and How We Use Them
Advertisers and partners may also use their own cookies (e.g. on their own sites). Strategic Maritime Solutions, LLC does not control any third party’s use of such cookies and we expressly disclaim responsibility for information collected by or through them.
Public Areas & Social Media: Any information you disclose in any public areas of our website or the Internet, including via social media becomes public information. You should exercise caution when deciding to disclose personal information in these public areas.